Friday, October 15, 2010

The Sun Is Out, but We're Still Wearing Our Wellingtons


Mr. Weatherman, I have a bone to pick with you. You promised me on each and every news station you were on last night that it was going to be raining cats and dogs here in New York City. Your predictions made it sound like a typhoon was going to descend on the isle of Manhattan, warning drivers to be especially careful on the roads on what was sure to be a blustery day.

Like any good, responsible working girl, I decided to pick out my office look the night before to best prepare myself for leaving the house in the morning, I dug deep into my closet to pull out my Wellies, and since I was going to be wearing rain boots, I had to pair them with some sort of skinny pant. (I don’t know about you, but I can’t stand it when I wear a boot cut or any looser fitting type with boots and they get all bunched up. So annoying, and uncomfortable, right?) And ever since breakfasting with Kelly Rutherford two weeks ago at the Gramercy Hotel, I’ve been obsessed with jodhpurs, so went and picked myself up a pair by Maggie Ward and I’m in love.

Since the Wellingtons make this a more casual look, I figured I’d go for a plaid flannel to usher in what I envisioned would be the first real day of fall, adding just a hint of chic with my black cashmere wrap I bought last season. Hey, a girl’s gotta look her best, even if it is Friday.

I laid out my outfit, satisfied with the look I culled together--I wasn’t going to let the weather be a reason not to look stylish.

After I caught some late night reruns of Seinfeld and The Simpsons, it was off to lalaland I went, getting my full eight hours before starting another work day. It was the wind that woke me up this morning, and I was expecting to see trees and telephone poles collapsed on the brownstones and cars that line my Brooklyn street. So how surprised was I that the sun was shining, the ground completely dry. There wasn’t any time to figure out a new outfit--I had to rush to take a quick shower and make some coffee before it was time for me to leave my apartment. Thankfully I looked good, even if I did look like I was ready to go skipping through puddles.

But hey, the day isn’t over yet. The weatherman has time to redeem himself, but I have a feeling that since I’m uber-prepared for the rain, it probably won’t ever come. It’s just how these things go.

Sigh.

0 comments:

WWD Fashion Headlines

ELLE Fashion

InStyle Headlines